Downey Trees became an Accredited Utility Contractor through the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA). Coupled with our existing status as a TCIA Accredited Tree Care Company, a title we have held since October 1, 2007, Downey Trees joins a group of only eight tree care companies nationwide that hold both accreditations! Downey Trees is the only dual-accredited company in the State of Georgia.
What does this mean for you? Dual accreditation reflects a serious commitment to consumer satisfaction, quality, and safety. The accredited company is one that protects both customers and employees with proper facilities, hiring practices, payroll status, insurance, and benefits. It is an assurance that the entire staff of Downey Trees has the utmost respect for the Tree resources on the properties of its clients:
- Sales associates are well-trained in tree biology and are qualified to help the client determine the best course of action to ensure the safety, health, and beauty of the trees on their property – and to achieve this in the most financially expedient way.
- Tree Care professionals are schooled from the ground up in all aspects of tree care, and are constantly refreshed in safety procedures, best management practices, and in having respect for the property of their customers, and who will readily report any accidental property damage to both management and the client.
- Support staff that sees to it that our associates have all of the best equipment with which to perform their work, and that the equipment is in optimal working order.
- Office staff that are courteous, professional, proficient, and totally committed to the support of those in the field.
- Ownership that is constantly vigilant to a company culture that supports such accreditation.
The Tree Care Industry Association was established in 1938, originally called the National Arborist Association. It is a non-profit whose members are tree care firms and affiliated companies. TCIA develops safety and education programs, standards for tree care practice, and management information for arboriculture firms around the world.
TCIA Accreditation goes way beyond being a member! It is a voluntary compliance program, and accreditation can only be achieved through a rigorous audit process. It evaluates entire businesses to ensure that professional practices and standards are met by all employees that work on the properties of their customers. The process of accreditation looks at the overall manner in which a company conducts business. The specific areas of the TCIA Audit are:
- Consumer Satisfaction
- Best Business Practices
- Business Ethics
- Employee Training
- Industry Standards
- Arborist Certification
- Insurance Coverage
- Work Estimates & Specifications
Accredited companies may be immediately disqualified for failing to follow TCIA Accreditation guidelines, including:
- Poor consumer complaint/dispute resolution record;
- Failure to issue written estimates or follow industry standards; and,
- Fraud or other irregularities.
The structure for TCIA Utility Accreditation is similar to that of general accreditation, the fundamental difference being the industry representatives, who in this case are more focused on the management of trees and other vegetation around electrical, natural gas, and other utility infrastructure. And while this accreditation is more focused on the management of trees in relation to such things as roadways, power lines, fiber optic lines and the like, achieving this status shows an even more elevated commitment to safety, training, and ethical business practices. Regulatory compliance comes under particular scrutiny, including:
- Governmental regulations and applicable OSHA standards.
- Industry standards for performance and safety, including ANSI A300 and ANSI Z133.
- Internal human resource policies and procedures.
- Internal safety training and qualification programs.
- Internal Injury and Illness Prevention Program.
- TCIA Certified Treecare Safety Professional (CTSP) on staff.
- ISA Certified Arborist Utility Specialist on staff.
As you can see, the standards are extensive and require considerable effort to meet: companies that do so are striving for excellence over and above industry norms. The owners and staff of Downey Trees are extremely proud of being in the exclusive fraternity of Dual Accredited companies with TCIA. When you hire Downey Trees, one of only eight companies in the US that are both TCIA Accredited and TCIA Accredited Utility Contractors, you can rest assured that the TCIA has screened Downey Trees for proper insurance, applicable business and pesticide licenses, and customer service that is reliable and ethical. The bottom line for what it says to our customers? Downey Trees takes the stress out of tree care!